Hazardous & Biological Waste
Hazardous and Biological Waste (Official Resource - EHS):
In order to prevent injuries and minimize environmental hazards, all chemical waste must be handled and disposed of properly. Each laboratory person handling hazardous chemical is responsible for the proper accumulation and management of waste in the laboratory.
Laboratory personnel are responsible for the following:
- Labeling of hazardous waste
- Proper storage of hazardous waste.
- Transportation of waste to a pick-up location or scheduling a special pick-up.
- Scheduling lab clean-outs as required.
- The principle investigator or lab manager is responsible for coordinating the disposal of all chemicals from their laboratories prior to closing down laboratory operations.
The office of Environment, Health & Safety (EH&S) has developed a comprehensive campus wide program which is responsible for the following:
- Collecting waste at scheduled pick-ups or by appointment.
- Conducting lab clean-outs.
- Storage and packaging waste for shipment off-campus
- Training laboratory personnel in hazardous waste management.
Follow the EHS guidelines for disposal of biological waste[...More]